View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 09:53 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi. Did your symptoms begin while you were taking Alprazolam? I ask this because I wonder how you decided the drug caused your symptoms.

I had used Ambien at night for many years. Although it's not a benzo it is a central nervous system depressant and a side effect is tingling/burning sensations (I believe when the drug is leaving your system). If my memory serves me correctly, benzodiazepine share that side effect. I have often felt that my SFN, which is identical to yours, was caused by overuse of that drug. I will be interested in hearing what your doctor tells you because all my doctors rejected that theory. I would be interested in any research you found on the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6201 View Post
I did an 8 month taper from Alprazolam, lowering my dosage by no more than 10% every 2 weeks (taken from the Ashton Manual), and have been benzodiazepine free for 6 years and 4 months. However, I still have issues with tingling/burning sensations in my feet, hands, legs, arms, face, and sometimes my back. The pain usually happens from stress, or when my body is met with chemicals (from toothpaste, bath products, etc--which means I'm also allergic to these products which didn't happen before getting on Alprazolam).

I reluctantly scheduled an appointment with a neurologist for tomorrow, however I'm looking to see if others have had this issue? Most of the time I don't experience the burning/tingling sensation, but when it does happen, it's distracting and sometimes I can't put in the background.