View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default 15 days post concussion

Good afternoon, everyone. I am seeking any insights I can get regarding my current concussion recovery.

I am 32 years old. I banged the back of my head really hard on my house two weeks ago. I didn't lose consciousness or vomit. I felt kind of dazed but fine. The next morning I woke up with severe headaches and pressure and some ringing in the ears so I went to ER. I had a CT scan and the doctor told me it was clear and I was good to go. Just a head contusion and I can go ahead and go back to work or whatever I want. He said if I was a football player he would just say no banging helmets for 2 weeks but that's it. He gave me a script for meloxicam which I still don't understand. Not impressed with this ER doctor.

I tried to rest as much as possible but I work from home on my computer and had important things to do. I kept lights and monitors dimmed. I started taking tylenol. The next morning the headaches were still constant but much less painful. Then the next day I woke up with no headaches but they would come and go intermittently. I felt a lot better and was supposed to be in a wedding 10 hours away so I packed up and made the drive. Lifting my wife's heavy bags definitely increased my symptoms but she is 8 months pregnant so I had no choice. I spent 3 days having fun and drinking a bit, esp at the reception. I was still experiencing intermittent headaches and taking tylenol or ibuprofen at this point and feeling decent. After the reception, my toddler bumped heads with me which immediately made my head hurt in the area he bumped. I went to bed and slept horribly that night but I chalked it up to drinking beer and coffee at the reception. Drove back home 10 hours.

I don't really feel that I have improved much at all since the 3rd day post concussion. I'm still having intermittent headaches, pressure in my head, occasional ringing in the ears. I also feel like one of my pupils has become slightly smaller than the other but it's too close to really concern me. I've also had occasional waves of nausea and a bit of dizziness here and there in the last few days. I really tried to take it easy the last week or so bc I felt maybe.i overdid it too early going to the wedding and also bumping heads with my son, but resting or napping only seems to relieve the symptoms temporarily and they come back as soon as I get too much screen time or try and do yardwork or anything physical really.

So yeah I am starting to get kind if freaked out. My symptoms aren't really improving anymore and I feel like I'm also seeing some additional symptoms manifest (more ringing in the ears, dizziness, pupil irregularity). I have cut way back on Tylenol, ibuprofen etc bc I'm trying to feel whats going on and not kill my stomach and liver. I'm having anxiety and blaming myself for bumping heads with my son and it sucks that I am hesitant to play with him a lot bc he is rough and I don't want it to happen again. I looked up the "concussion protocol" for returning to play and I'm not even close to getting out of the stage 1 complete ohysical and cognitive rest bc I have mild headaches on and off all day and pressure in my head and behind my eyes a lot. I don't want to return to exercise until these headaches subside it 2 weeks with no cardio is starting to concern me as well. Esp bc I am.coming off a 6 month shoulder surgery rehab which has made me much less inactive than normal.

Sorry for the long winded post but I just wanted to get it all.out there. Any advice, insights, help would be VERY appreciated. I do have an appointment with a general practitioner tomorrow afternoon to get some follow up medical attention.
paperboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote