View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

paperboy,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

You are a classic case of a person early in their recovery. Two weeks is early.

1st. Forget the 'bumped heads with my toddler.' concern. That is an anxiety reaction, not a trauma. There is not nearly enough for bumping heads with a toddler. Their skulls are soft and light. Any force that would have cause trauma to your brain would have put your toddler in serious danger. So, Let go of that one.

2nd. Ignore the pupil size issue. One cannot self diagnose pupil size nor pupil reaction speed. Stop scaring yourself with research at erroneous medical or concussion web sites. There are scads of them that are full of fear mongers who do not have the facts straight.

3rd. Stay away from alcohol and caffeine......

4th Throw away the return to play concussion protocol you allude to. It is full of errors.

Physical and cognitive rest should only be for the first 24 to 48 hours. After that, you want to return to activities that do not make symptoms worse. If you have a headache and the computer screen makes the headache worse after X time, take a break before X time. But, find a replacement low stress activity that encourages blood flow to the brain.

The wedding trip was a bit too much stress. But, that is the past. Live and learn.

At this point, I think your biggest issue is resolving your anxiety. You need to move forward, not rehash the past. Reduce the intensity of your days. Stop this Bumped heads with my toddler anxiety. Your anxiety is causing you to magnify minor issues.

Eat healthy. Read the vitamins sticky at the top. Be careful with head and neck posture. Almost every concussion includes symptoms from an upper neck strain. Those symptoms overlap with concussion symptoms and can be a major cause of your symptoms. ice your neck. Sleep with straight head and neck posture. There may be no neck symptoms other than a headache. Headaches by the ears are usually neck related. Touching/Bumping the skin by the ears is often painful because the muscles are in spasm.

Some of us have experienced chronic headaches for months, even 6 months or more. They are annoying but nothing to worry about. Enteric aspirin and Tylenol combined can help for the worst headaches. My neurologist recommended the combination. Enteric aspirin dissolves in the intestines, not the stomach so there is not stomach upset.

For exercise, a rowing machine is low impact and good for shoulder rehab. Pull the bar so your thumbs touch your nipples. This causes the shoulder muscles to properly support the shoulder. I had to rehab a shoulder, too. 20 strokes a minutes and 1500 meters in 10 minutes is a good starting point. Avoid weights. They stress the neck muscles. I am up to 27 to 28 strokes per minute and 2000 meters in 10 minutes or even 4000 meters in 20 minutes.

Avoid cardio focused exercise for the time being. Focus on getting good blood flow throughout your body.

85% will spontaneously recover within 6 weeks or so. You have plenty of time to go.

I doubt the GP will be of any help at all. Few ever are. Most have outdated understandings of concussions. Some have even totally wrong ideas.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote