View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

ConcussedMathGuy,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

It does not sound like the two basketball hits were concussions and likely not even subconcussive impacts. A subconcussive hit has a momentary "Woo, I got hit" sensation, not just an awareness of the head making contact. Subconcussive impacts are bad because a player may suffer 5 to 10 in the time of one game or one practice. There is no time off between hits. A single basketball bump does not fit that description.

You don't describe the baseball hit. What symptoms manifested immediately and then later after the hit?

Unless you have already experienced some cognitive difficulties with math, I would not expect you to have any difficulties moving forward. Even if you did, many of the thinking skills for math can be retrained. Relearning to focus to 'juggle' multiple variables in the head while you process them just takes discipline. I used to challenge my brain with mental math at the store as I added up prices. Back in those days, everything has a price sticker on it. I still do such exercises but I cannot do it like I used to. I had a few setbacks during high school and college and had to retrain myself. But, my concussion was quite severe and required hospitalization for 3 days.

Can you help me understand something?

We routinely get questions like yours. Where does the thought of brain damage from a simple head bump come from? Did you see the movie Concussion and it scared you? Is there other information being presented that leads to such concerns? Are schools trying to teach about concussion safety? What have you heard?

You and your friends need to agree to not joke around about head hits. No fake hits that become real hits. These hits were not an issue in my opinion but the behavior is reckless and shows a disregard for basic common sense.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote