Thread: BBB and Statins
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 11:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default coq10 and statins

I am repeating several earlier posts, but recall the original article authored by clifford Shults, et al published in annals of neurology, 2002, showing a decrease in progression of disease in early onset PD patients who received 1200 mgm/day of coenzyme Q10. this was a small study (80 patients total),thus multiple center studies are underway using megadose coq10 in PD, ALS and huntington's. (recent published data from these studies concluded that use of megadose coq10 was "safe and tolerable".)

there are published studies in humans looking at statins and coq10 levels--in many of these studies, incontrovertible evidence that statins use lowers muscle, platelet or serum coq10 is available. 3 other studies were "inconclusive". CoQ10 is an essential element of the mitochondrial process that makes cellular energy--ATP. It also functions as one of the major anti-oxidants within the mitochondria, helping decrease reactive oxygen species. (important information, relating to the theory that PD is caused in part by mitochondrial dysfunction)
Again a repeat: Dr. Lieberman did a small study looking at progression rates of 2 different groups of PD patients--one taking a statin, the other not on statins., His conclusion after following these 2 groups after a period of (i think ~2yrs) was that their rates of progression were "similar". Included in this study was a small paragraph noting that of the original group who were not taking a statin, 5 patients were started on a statin during the trial period. Importantly (to me anyway) was the fact that ALL FIVE PATIENTS EXPERIENCED AN INCREASE IN SEVERITY OF THEIR SYMPTOMS AFTER STARTING A STATIN. I know that is a small #, but that's 100% of all the patients who were started on a statin during the trial period. the statin was stopped for a "washing out" period and when the symptoms did not revert, the drug was re-started. Does not increasing severity of symptoms qualify as "progression of disease?
There are NO scientific studies determining time for "wash out" of statins. Dr. Paul Phillips, interventional cardiologist from san diego who has been studying statin maintains that the plasma half life of statins is known, but the muscle tissue half life is not known, and may be the more important # in determining half life of statins.

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote