View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 09:30 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Abnormal Single Fiber EMG

Hi

I have suffered from global muscle fatigue after chronic exercise for many decades but have lived with it mainly by avoiding chronic exercise, using caffeine and smoking (although gave that up 6 years ago). I started taking daily transdermal magnesium 5 years ago and having regular massages after exercise. The symptoms became much worse and in the past 2 years began to suffer from bouts of slow moving limbs. I stopped the massages and the symptoms improved. I recently stopped the magnesium and the slow moving limb symptoms completely ceased. I have noticed the symptoms get worse a couple weeks after an infection / physical trauma

I recently had a number of tests for MG all of which were normal, except my facial / eye muscles during a single fiber EMG test. The test was undertaken twice and abnormal both times. The Drs said it was consistent with mild ocular MG although ironically I have no obvious ocular symptoms. They have called it pre-clinical, although the doctor who undertook the test said that although it was mildly abnormal it was definitely abnormal and he would normally expect to see symptoms with my results.

The Dr suggested Pyridostigmine although I haven't tried it yet. I did try galantamine which gave my acute diarrhea, dizziness and did not seem to improve the symptoms.

I am unclear if I have MG or not, what do you think? As above, I find it interesting that magnesium caused symptoms as I have read this happens with MG. I have also noticed that steroids prescribed in the past for unrelated conditions provided lots of energy and strength (along with side effects, of course). But on the other hand I have no ocular symptoms which is the only part of my body with a positive test result, ironically the EMG was negative for the rest of my body where I do feel fatigue.

Last edited by Comeonthen; 05-27-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Comeonthen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (05-27-2018)