View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 06:36 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default After 4 years my PN is on the warpath....why?

Forgive me, my first post will be a long one. I have been reading and researching here and on other sites for a few years. Ok, here is the back story:

Diagnosed with Idiopathic PN 4 years ago by a neurologist in Knoxville. They found it while doing pre-surgery testing for carpal tunnel.

I'm 60, I am not overweight, have never approached diabetes and have not had any medical problems except seasonal allergies. I don't take any prescription meds, nor do I use any illegal drugs. I was always blue collar and worked outdoors. Hobbies are/have been hiking/backpacking, running, horseback riding, boating, motorcycles, hunting/shooting & wood working. Currently it's hiking, playing tennis, on and off road motorcycling(usually about 15K miles a year). We heat with wood, so I cut and split about 3 cords a year.Since 2010 I have built my own log home, a shop and several out buildings. We are on 100 ac and the hobby farm includes cows, chickens and horses.

I did chew tobacco for 25ish years(quit cold turkey 2 years ago) and I enjoy my end of day drinks, usually beer and anywhere from 2-5 bottles a evening. Mixed drinks are less than 25% of my alcohol intake.

I would consider my lifestyle "active". After the PN diagnosis I was put on Metanx. My symptoms were the common slight numbness on the ball & big toe of the right & left Sgt Hulka(big toe):

I can't post a link yet, but go to youtube and watch the clip from the movie Stripes..." Sgt Hulka and the Big Toe"

I know this is not a laughing matter, but comedy and laughter can keep one from going insane and is a proper temporary escape from reality for me.

After the Metanx, I had no PN improvement or advance. After looking it up and finding out it was B12, I tried the Costco Super B12 supplement and found it also worked the same as the much more expesive Metanx so I switched. My PN lay relatively dormant for 4 years.

Then, two weeks ago it just went off the reservation. Almost overnight the numbness has spread approximately 50% on both feet. I get a "flushing" feeling from toe to knee accompanied by what feels like a temperature change. So far, no pain, but if I leave an ankle in one position too long(as in driving or sitting) when I stand up it really hurts and I have to limp a few feet before it starts to work again. I attributed that to Mr Arthur Itis(the guy is a **** hole), but now I am not so sure.

I have cut back my alcohol intake. The neurologist told me 4 years ago that there was no lifestyle change that would make my PN worse(I now know he was dead nuts wrong). Last night I had a couple of IPA's and instant "club foot" that is still here today as I type. It looks like a cold turkey is in order for me on my alcohol, but to be honest I will miss it.

So, nothing has changed in my intake or activity level in 4 years. Why would my PN now make such a sudden and abrupt flanking cavalry charge? I still am fortunate to not have pain like many of you here, but I think it's inevitable.

Only past known PN trigger for me - Salt.....I have never in my life added salt to food. But, I am from New Orleans, and I love spice. Two years ago we went down to the crawfish festival. The mud bugs at the festival were so salty I could hardly eat them. The next day my PN flared up and stayed that way for a week before calming down.

I have ordered Methyl B12, Benfotiamine and Alpha-Lipoic and will start on them in a day or two. Any other suggestions are welcome.
DishRag is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Joe Duffer (07-02-2018)