View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Seeking herbal treatments

New here. I have a brief introduction, and two questions for anyone who'd care to respond.

I began manifesting signs of neuropathy just three weeks ago: numbness and tingling in all 10 fingers, both feet from the ball of the foot forward, and sometimes my tongue. No pain, however. But I'm scared. I'm a writer and artist by profession. My typing has become clumsy, and when I hold a pencil, I feel I'm no longer in total control. This illness could cost me everything.

I just came out of two days of tests in hospital. They confirmed what my condition is not: It isn't from diabetes, MS, a stroke, or B12 deficiency. They wanted to do a nerve biopsy, which would render me permanently numb in an area of my ankle, so I told them to get lost. Making a long story short, I strongly suspect my statin medication as the cause of PN. It was the only medication I was taking, until I threw my pills in the trash last week.

First question: is there any discussion or dependable research regarding statins and peripheral neuropathy?

Second question: I've searched this forum and elsewhere for knowledgeable discussions of non-pharmaceutical treatments, specifically for reversing PN. There is a lot of information out there. If I took all of it seriously, I'd be consuming around 50 supplements daily, from exotic new B12 formulas to ayurvedic medicine. All of which I'm open to, but I don't know where to begin to sort through what might work best, and proper dosages.

Currently I'm trying out the following:

• B12 (methylcobalamin) (500 mcg)
• Folic Acid (400 mg)
• Vitamin C (1000 mg)
• Vitamin D3 (2000 iu)
• CoQ10 (100 mg)
• R-Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg)
• Acetyl L-Carnitine (1000 mg)
• Magnesium (1000 mg)
• Apple cider vinegar (1 tbsp)
• Turmeric (1/4 tsp)
• Chili pepper
• Red onion (for Quercetin)
• Cinnamon
• Sulphur (MSM)
• Coconut oil
• Flax seed

Not all taken together, but at various times of day. I do notice a fair but temporary alleviation of symptoms after taking the top half of the list. But it's been only 10 days.

I absolutely will not take any pharmaceutical for this condition, full stop. I feel I've been poisoned by the allegedly-safe statins, which I always suspected I didn't need anyway. Most PN medications are meant for pain relief, and thank goodness I'm experiencing numbness rather than pain.

Since the condition for me is still new (though the neurologist told me PN strikes from 6-12 months before you feel any outward symptoms), I'm determined to fight back and free myself.

So, can anyone here who is far more experienced than I am advise me or point to some reliable, expert resources for reversing non-diabetic PN with food and supplements?
Billingsgate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote