Thread: Anemia and MG
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 08:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBear View Post
Dear Annie,

Thanks for your reply. My hemoglobin is 8.7, which is not the worst it has been in the past (6.7) but I am feeling it. We did start some treatment for it a couple of weeks ago, injections which are supposed to help the bone marrow make more red blood cells (Aranesp). So far it's taking awhile to take effect, which apparently is normal. Maybe in a couple more weeks there will be some improvement (?).

Yes, I have had a sleep study in the past, but there aren't any plans to do one right at the moment. I know sometimes my oxygen levels can dip down, but it's not consistent, so apparently it's not a problem. I do not qualify for oxygen support. I do sleep with a non-invasive ventilator (BiPAP/AVAPS machine) to assist my breathing.

The hospital does blood tests weekly as part of my plasmapheresis treatments. My CO2 levels are generally around 20 or 21. They have been running low. I have had ABG tests in the past, but not lately. Generally those results are high, so that it appears that I am hyperventilating, but I am not - I guess it is just that I have a hard time breathing because of my respiratory weakness.

Yes, it would be nice to get a second opinion if I could. I am thinking about it also but it's hard to work out the details. I know where I would like to go if I can arrange a ride there.

Thanks again, and sending best wishes your way.

Take care,
Erin
Hi Erin,

I can't offer any insights to having both these diseases but we have lots of experience with anemia. My husband had SAA was transfusion dependent for two years. Anytime his HGB dropped to 8.3, he would get red cells transfused. That is usually the standard threshold for transfusions. However, some cannot tolerate a HGB below nine and will get transfused at 9 or even 10. You may want to talk to your doctor about getting some red cells until the Aranesp kicks in.

Also, if you haven't already found this forum, you may want to check it out. It deals with blood disorders and there are quite a few people with MDS there.

Marrowforums - Powered by vBulletin

Marlene
Marlene is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (06-09-2018), ErinBear (06-07-2018)