View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default update on amputation of left hand

its been awhile since i last posted. so here is an update on on the amputation. On May 24th 2016 i had my hand amputated they did a trans radial amputation. While in surgery they put a prosthetic hand attached to my cast to help with the way the brain thinks. i wore this for about two weeks i was able to operate it with my shoulder the hand would only open and close at this point. Also during surgery they did TMR (targeted muscle regeneration). I spent 6 months in therapy. I stopped all my medications at the end of the two weeks when the cast was removed. i was placed in another cast without a hand on it for two more weeks. I was fitted for a prosthetic at this time. now it has been just two years since the amputation i'm completely off all medications and have no problems with the RSD. i have had phantom pain occasionally in the area where my pinky was but this has only happened a few times. i seen my hand surgeon every three months to make sure everything is going good, now i see him every 6 months. that will drop to once a year in December. I would say that i'm 90% percent back to normal. I use my prosthetic everyday with out problem. I know a lot of people are against amputation but it helped me. this is the best i have felt in the last 5 years since i was diagnosed with RSD. if anyone would like to discuss this any further please let me know.

Last edited by swampcricket; 06-07-2018 at 12:41 PM.
swampcricket is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (06-07-2018), birchlake (06-08-2018), FrankB (06-07-2018)