View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 02:52 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Medical Mystery -Phys or Psych?

[SIZE="5"]I'm writing in the hopes that anyone, anywhere has experience or advice. My friend is a 26 y/o female. She has an excellent health history and a history of mild anxiety. She is intelligent and coherent. 2 years ago she experienced a distressing life event that she reports as not traumatic, but very disturbing. Shortly after this, she began experiencing these strange "episodes" or "events". She reports having little to no warning that they are coming on. She will begin having extremely painful brain sensations and feelings that she describes as feeling like "someone injecting poison into my brain and killing my brain tissue". These are accompanied by distressing feelings of brain fog and of being "detached from myself". They can stay all day, 10 minutes, or hours. They can leave as rapidly as they began. Side effects of these episodes are chronic fatigue, insomnia, inability to function normally, distorted perceptions regarding interactions happening (ie: obsessions, paranoia, etc regarding communication w others)
This is just the general descriptions. This illness is wreaking havoc. MRI was negative. Psychiatrist wont really listen and says its a somatic manifestation or somatic disorder.
This woman is feeling like she cant be heard in the medical community. Explaining these symptoms is difficult and embarrassing and she's usually "diagnosed" before being able to fully explain what's happening. I believe her when she says that this feels like a physical condition is creating these MH-type symptoms.
Please help
sarahsullivan555 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (06-16-2018)