View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 08:40 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Confused A year of Neuropathy Symptoms & Few Answers

A year ago, I suddenly started experiencing neuropathy type symptoms such as pins, needles, burning, minor pain or pressure pain (e.g. thumb pressing on a smartphone), chronic back itch, and random numb feelings - from head to toe but primarily felt in the hands and feet. The intensity varies considerably from day to day and while it's extremely aggravating & anxiety-inducing, it's not physically debilitating or even all that painful.

Over the past year, I've had every conceivable test (NCS/EMG, Brain MRI w contrast, xrays (neck, feet, hands), auto-immune, several blood sugar tests, stress test / holter monitor, sleep study). All the tests and studies were normal with the exception of a deficiency of Vitamin D and low B12. Addressing the vitamin deficiencies seemed to temporarily reduce the intensity but even with my D & B12 being normal now for the past 4-5 months, the symptoms continue. I'm using a host of supplements and topical treatments (e.g. Benfotiamine, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Gaba etc.) and I recently got a Rx for Amitriptyline that does seem to reduce or dull the pins/needles/burning nerve sensations but doesn't restore normal sensation.

So with the neurologist saying I don't have any "neurophysiologic" evidence of neuropathy, is it possible I have something else going on? I've even tried a psychologist who offered up breathing exercises and mindfulness techniques which help are beneficial in that sense and calm anxiety but don't actually stop the neuropathy symptoms.

From those with experience, I'd appreciate insights or suggestions.
mark24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote