View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 01:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan2018 View Post
I am a 48 year old male. Have always been an enthusiastic drinker.
Over the last ten years or so, I got in the habit of drinking beer or wine about 5 days a week. Probably about an average of a case of beer a week.
I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I guess most people don't.
I started having the tingling in my feet and then noticed that on my daily run, I felt like my left leg was flopping around uncontrollably.
My GP sent me to a neurologist and had the shock test done.
All tests came back negative, so the Dr.s diagnosed it as Alcoholic Neuropathy.
I quit drinking cold turkey. I don't need to drink, especially if it is causing this many problems.
My concern is that it is not the drinking that it is something else but the DRs stop looking for a different cause.
I really always consider myself a moderate drinker since most of the guys I hang around with drink the same amount.
Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Yes, sounds like me when I was in my mid forties. I don't know if in-fact my PN was alcohol related(probably, to some degree) but having quit drinking over 12 years ago for other health reasons doesn't appear to be relevant. Indeed, I didnt even experience an obvious PN level until like 5 years after I quit drinking.

Of course, my doc declared my PN to be "ideopathic", case-closed.

I tried B-12 methyl sub-lingual tablets for several months, my blood labs actually showed a dramatic increase in B-12 in the boady. But, no real evidence of tangible benefit for the PN.

So, eventhough my PN haven't gotten better, at least it hasn't gotten worse, and only has a minimal effect on my life.