Old 06-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Thoracic Outlet with Pectoralis Minor Excision

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaLH View Post
Greetings everyone...I'm wondering if any of you that have had a pectoralis minor release can fill me in on how you're doing afterwards. What was the recovery like, side effects (winging scapula's, muscle instability/weakness, anyone?), etc? I made it out to Denver recently and met with Dr. Sanders, who recommended a bilateral pec minor release, with a possible later scalenectomy only if there are residual symptoms. The risks from this procedure seem far fewer than the first rib resection and scalenectomy (my other option in my home state), but I'd like to hear more first hand experiences before I make my decision. I have searched the archives, but with only minimal results, though I have read some recent posts! Thank you!!!

Hi, I am 10 days post op from my second Thoracic Outlet Surgery with Pectoralis Minor excision. I immediately felt relief. The Gilliat -Summer hand curving has been released and back to normal. The surgery was performed with 2 incisions, above and below the clavicle.
My medical plan didn't have the extensive research for thoracic outlet. A brachial plexus surgeon worked with me and a team of vascular surgeons. The surgery lasted 3.5 hours.
My neck and pec minor are unremarkable No pain at all. I do have neuropathy in my index finger and thumb going up the arm. It may be from the surgery or a cervical problem. I have cervical discectomy from a car accident. I need to wait for the swelling to go down and allow recover before I start looking at the neck. I went to UCLA, california for my first surgery. They specialize in thoracic outlet. Phenomenal doctors over 28 years experience.

My first surgery in 2004 was incised through the arm pit and scalenectomy wih rib removal was performed. Surgery was inevitable due to pain and my hand turning dark purple.
I immediately felt relief and was back swimming in a couple weeks. I would prefer to have the surgery through the armpit. I had a small scar and recover was fast. If I had the choice I would have the transaxillary, under the armpit , surgery by a very experienced doctor.

Surgery did turn out well. I have a great deal of experience with pain caused by thoracic outlet. It's debilitating and frustratingly painful. After a while you start doubting yourself over the long and undiagnosed journey. I had my surgery after five years of injections, botox and physical therapy. The pain is real and the fight is worth it. Do your research and learn about the area that may need surgery. Doctors are people and if you team with your doctor the results can be amazing. My doctor wasn't even thinking about the pec minor. I emailed her a medical paper on pec minor and thoracic outlet. She agreedto the surgery. My muscle was split and irritating the brachial plexus. Although I will have two scars, the surgery was successful.

Best wishes Elizabeth
Elizabeth2018 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote