View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 05:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Exhausted: Please take the time to browse the conversations on this page and read what other people have had to say (myself included). There are all sorts of stories on here about people getting better and better by venturing out and finding therapy, or finding supplements and vitamins that work for them, and even a few of people finding medication that have helped them greatly. PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GARBAGE ABOUT YOUR CONDITION BEING PERMANENT.

Here's the problem with most neurologists: While their knowledge of which parts of the brain control which parts of the body is fairly impressive, they don't know anything about treating the brain. They're great at studying people, looking at these bizarre fallouts from head injuries and saying "wow, that's really interesting, I might write an article about you for a medical journal", but when it comes to a patient telling them "I cannot live my life this way, I am in constant pain, help me get better" they'll usually give a prescription along the lines of "get more sleep, and don't overexert yourself until you feel better." Maybe they'll prescribe anti depressants, but even then prescribing anti depressants to a brain injury patient is a lot like prescribing robotussin to someone with throat cancer. Right part of the body, but the medicine is completely irrelevant to the problem.

You're right to say that it feels like your body crossed some sort of threshold, because it most likely did. There's a certain level of stress that anyone's body just cannot handle, and once it crosses that level it will need help to get itself healed. You likely crossed that threshold, but I emphasize again, PLEASE don't believe that your condition is permanent. Do you really think you could live the rest of your life this way?

I didn't start actively healing from my brain injury until 46 months had passed from my initial blow to the head. I'd sustained 3 seperate head injuries in those 46 months, each making my problems bigger and more suffocating until I finally just couldn't get out of bed anymore; most any neurologist would have told you my problems were permanent, but I found the right therapies for me, and now I'm almost back to 100%.

Don't give up, and don't listen to anyone who tells you that your hell is permanent. You can heal.
PCS McGee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (08-09-2011), crgravitt (08-21-2011)