Thread: Supplements?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

When starting supplements, it's always a good idea to check each one against any drugs you are taking. Taking only one supplement at a time will help you to figure out which one is making you better—or worse!

Yeah, I don't know why Valeant puts dairy in the Mestinon tabs. That's one reason I need to do the syrup. I have an immune reaction to dairy.

There are different forms of vitamin D, such as vegi caps versus glycerin ones. What brands have you tried?

Probiotics are good, but look carefully for dairy in those as well. The UP4 brand doesn't have dairy.

Krill oil (or flax) is a good omega, as are walnuts or olive oil. Tumeric has blood thinning properties. If you are on any NSAIDS, or similar drugs, you may want to be cautious about using tumeric. Cinnamon is a good anti-inflammatory as well.

Collagen powder is not tightly regulated. A rice protein powder might be a better way to go. But that's up to you. We need lots of good protein. Collagen isn't a complete protein, and the sources might be iffy (beef, etc.). The collagen powders are also quite expensive. Amino acids can make someone sleepy once they hit the gut. Timing of those proteins is important as well.

N-glutamin isn't necessarily harmful. Please read up on all of these supplements. Also, once a body is used to a supplement, going off of them can be harder. They are not benign.

I appreciate complementary medicine. But that doesn't mean that everything out there is right for you. And there isn't enough evidence of how each supplement interacts with foods or drugs in the body!

Did the physiatrist give you reasons for each supplement? Knowing what the goal or end point is will help you decide what is best for you.

I hope you can figure out what supplements are right for you. But don't simply take something when a medical professional says to! Whether drugs or supplements, we need to know what we're putting into our bodies!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote