View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Help

I would like to caution you about making suppositions about relations between drugs and side effects, especially when there is virtually no evidence of Mestinon causing pancreatitis. Some people with MG can end up having pancreatitis, but not from MG or Mestinon.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/crim/2011/309149/

People can lose enzymes (and stomach acid) with age. Also, have they visually looked at your pancreas? If not, they probably should to rule out cancer. Some patients with MG can have autoimmune paraneoplastic syndrome (multiple cancers).

Imuran has had pancreatitis associated with use. Not sure about any other immune suppressants.

Pancreatitis, which my last dog had, also requires a low fat diet. Did they discuss that? The Creon might be enough. But if you have symptoms down the road, you might need to reduce the dietary fat.

Diarrhea occurs in the GI tract in Mestinon intake (in some people) due to increased peristalsis (how quickly food moves through the intestines). I just don't understand the logic here. Diarrhea can be a sign of pancreatitis, but does not cause pancreatitis.

I have never heard of Mestinon causing pancreatitis. The drug does not need lipase, amylase, or protease to digest it. Mestinon is metabolized in the liver and cleared through the kidneys.

Pyridostigmine - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

This article relates to use of Mestinon in the Gulf War vets, but those articles often have more detailed info than the Mestinon PDFs.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/.../ucm133154.pdf

You could ask your neurologist if trying Mestinon again would be okay. What if this was just a coincidence? What if you can use Mestinon? Have you had your liver and kidney functions tested lately?

I think more questions need to be asked here! Science usually makes logical sense. This relation between Mestinon and pancreatitis does not. Sorry, just can't even see how this is possible.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ErinBear (07-04-2018)