View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 10:42 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default New concussion and anxiety. No rest after injury.

Hey all,

You might remember me being a frequent poster about two summers back when I got a concussion scare after bumping my head on a bedframe. Whether or not that was a concussion, I had months of worry about every little bump I got, and it was really unhealthy. However, I was finally able to break the fear, and for the past 1.5 years I havn't had any worries about concussions.

Unfortunately, two Saturdays back (11 days ago) I was at the barber, and while cutting my hair he was talking to someone behind us. Turning back from his conversation with the third party, he accidentally elbowed me in the back of the head. And no exaggeration, but this was probably the first time my head has been hit in over a year. I had no immediate symptoms aside from the shock of getting hit, and the fears that it immediately brought back. There was really no pain either, and it didn't leave any mark. So I assumed that it wawas just high anxiety. I was light headed when I left, and the light headedness continued throughout the day, and I had a tension headache that night.

Over the next few days I experienced more and more symptoms including: intermittent headaches, dizziness when walking, nausea when eating, and trouble concentrating at work. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take off of work, and had a pretty busy week last week, but I feel as though I got very little done compared to normal. I also probably wasn't the best patient during this time. I drank a glass of wine on the day of the incident, and had three drinks on the following Friday as we had a large party at work and I didn't realize alcohol was bad for the brain until I read about it this past weekend, and I've since cut out all alcohol and have been limiting caffeine. I also only averaged about 7 hours of sleep a night...

I visited the doctor and explained that I was hit and experiencing symptoms, but also told her about my history with psychosomatic symptoms, and how my anxiety has mirrored physical symptoms in the past. She said that it was possibly either a concussion or anxiety, and there is really no way to tease the two apart.

I feel much better currently, but I'm worried, if I did have a concussion, will I suffer permanent damage by not taking perfect care of myself immediately after? This would also be at least my second concussion, as I suffered a large one to the back of my head about 10 years ago, will that have an impact to recovery?

I had a long weekend for the 4th of July which I've used to mentally rest (I've still used TV and video games), but unfortunately I need to return to work tomorrow. It is my first week in a new job position so i can't afford to stop working.

I'm also looking to supplement to improve my recover. I've been looking into fish oil, CBD oil, vitamin E, creatine and a few other things that have been recommended. Please let me know of anything else I could use!

Any advice or opinions are appreciated! This was a bit of rant, so definitly let me know if something needs clarification.

All the best!
J0HN_TIT0R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote