View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Hang In There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batbite24 View Post
I'm an anxious mess again. I do tend to become anxious easily. Today I walked around the block again...made it, but the left leg was slightly problematic, not really bad. Tried to take a nap this afternoon, but the myoclonus is back too, and jerked me awake every time I began to drift off. Doing something I promised myself I wouldn't and looking up sites on rabies, rabies case studies, rabies incubation times.....on and on and on driving myself crazy. I keep coming back to the same conclusion; unless I develop a raging fever and encephalitis/meningitis symptoms, just keep plowing forward. If anything bad happens at this point, there's nothing to be done anyway...what a comforting thought that is! But at least it sets my psyche into "the only way is forward, don't let this paralyze you psychologically again" mode. This experience surely brings home the point of what a precious gift each day is. Today's date; 7/7/18. Again, so thankful for this forum.
@BatBite24, I sometimes get similar thoughts around long incubation periods, but I always think back to my doctor's words. He said the vaccines are 100% effective and they're conducted fairly often (with vets and people who've been bitten by confirmed rabid animals, getting them regularly and not developing rabies), so it's unlikely it was not effective. He also said that the vaccine prevents the virus from incubating, so it's not possible for the virus to be "dormant" and suddenly awaken after the vaccine titer levels in your blood go down. He specializes and has over 20 years of experience in Infectious Diseases and works at the UChicago Hospital, specifically in their Travel Clinic too, so he's a credible source! Hopefully this helps. If there's anything that takes your mind off of things, like reading or even watching a tv show, maybe that'll help calm you down during your anxious moments too! Will be praying and hoping the best for you!
Hope21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Batbite24 (07-12-2018), battyinthemountains (10-16-2020)