Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Collars post-surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney95 View Post
I found it very helpful to put a soft foam collar under the hard one. Of course, the restriction is madening but it does cut down on the rubbing and irritation. My surgeon laughed when I went in for my first post op check up and he saw what I had done but said it was a great idea. I had two more cervical surgeries that he performed and when I woke up, there was a soft collar under the hard one.

This can be pretty hot but that is why I just let my airconditioning blast away when I was wearing them. You need two of them as they need to be washed frequently as they can get pretty nasty. You need a fresh one to wear while the other one is drying. Best wishes.
I'm 3 weeks post surgery on C3-7 ACDF plus posterior D-trax. I began wearing a nice quality travel pillow that had conforming foam and velour exterior after my accident in January until surgery in June. It was a godsend to get through the night being able to keep my neck from falling side to side. Now post surgery I wear it each night and it is much more comfortable for me than a hard collar. My surgeon indicated he didn't think I needed to wear a collar during the day at all. Also, just invested in a really good cervical pillow.
ltaggart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote