View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 02:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ooh, chilly Icehouse!

Kiwi, it is one of the advantages of growing up in a tiny country. Only half speaks Flemish, so at 8 years old we were also taught French (for 10 years), at 10 we add English and at 11 or 12 German. I also learned Dutch, which is 90 % the same as Flemish. Note that Flemish, French, and German are all official Belgian languages. So most of us learn 3 to 4 languages as a kid. Add some Spanish, and you get the “hang” of it. Everybody in the world (well, say most) know basic English, so you guys are never “forced” to speak another language. We are - which is great.

Learning from books or apps is one thing, living in it for 2 months an entirely different one, as you connectt the words to places, dates, people etc.

Language also has its music, which helps me. I can not begin to describe how rich you are when you can watch difficult comedy in French, or Formula 1 in German (commentary by Niki Lauda...). It’s like new worlds opening up.

All movies and series are subtitled, so I grew up knowing a few words of English when I was 5, watching Mannix.

Kids suck up languages, almost by osmosis, so that’s what we should be doing in schools all over the world. Language unlocks cultures, and makes it very difficult to become racist; it all becomes part of you.

Here endeth the preaching LOL
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (07-24-2018)