View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Karen,
I had to retire from police work. I started as a patrol officer and then promoted up the ladder to Chief. I was so thrilled my dreams were a reality. Then an underage DUI hit my cruiser and I had to throw myself from being trapped in the cruiser door. I had retired and decided to go to finish my BA in criminal Justice at almot 50 years old.

So as a grandma, my family was there when I graduated with honors, top 1 % and many honor societies with degrees in Criminal Justice and sociology. A job did not happen, and I knew I could not do full time work, but I did have my notary public commission, a few times a month I had clients. Then an opening as a visitation caseworker opened up a year and half ago.

I monitor "safe" environment visits for children with their parent. Some clients were in prison when the child was born, some have been arrested for child abuse, not their child, many are spouse abusers...where we receive our grant money from for the agency. Many are men that have control issues and try to even do it to us!

It is light duty, but on your toes that parents do not break rules and the child or children have a good visit. The parent can not interrogate the kids to the home life, or Mom, they can not promise them toys, or trips, and for kids that are apprehensive to visit I try to make it comfortable enjoyable time.

It is a bit of magic, and thinking ahead of the conversation. The moveing of tables and chairs is the most physical work.
I do get exhausted having numerous issues and taking care of the family, but sleep a lot, nap a lot just to take care of the family and myself.

But it is rewarding, I just got a bonus I did not expect. I ahve full ssdi, nothing is deducted. The have sent me a letter that I did not show significant improvment in my condition, and the hours worked are not affecting my rate.

So I earn about $500 a month to help my family out work 8-10 hours a week(two 4-5 hour shifts).

Right now Folks cancel with vacations and tow of my clients were arrested and lidges for violations of parole and a spouse abuse...another is in counseling....so I hope it picks up soon. Last pay check for two weeks was only 6 hours.....

But that is my story,
I treat with trigger point injections, TENS unit at night, biofreeze, valium for muscle relaxant, lidoderm partches, percocette as I need it, darvocette for the knee osteo arthritis post surgical. I need more the days I work, I have my hot tub and that is the one thing that helps the best. Its massaging and deep heat to the bone penatrating is theraputic.

Welcome to the forum,
dianne

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote