View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 11:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool Welcome

hi karen

wow - is that ever the $64.00 question! it is a real challenge with TOS, isn't it, once you reach that point of no return... well it has been for me, anyhow. i used to work a corporate job, very heavy phones, lots of computer use. no doubt i reinjured myself on a daily basis for years and years. don't even talk to me about the stress, and the commute to and from work every day? forgetaboutit! (i live in LA...)

i volunteer for a not-for-profit now, a children's rights advocacy group established in memory of a murdered child who was near and dear to me. (www.thejoyfulchild.org) but i sure wish i could do a hell of a lot more for the foundation than my body will allow me to, karen. i have neither the strength nor the consistency to be reliable at any level, due to pain and fatigue.

your story hits home. but i have a question for you. i don't understand why, if your surgeon took you off work, he did not follow through with state disability for you. (i assume your injury is not work-related as you do not say you are a W/C case... but if your TOS IS related to that last job [or your sx were exacerbated by it, even], then perhaps that might be something for you to look into as well...)

in either event, SSDI is something as dimarie has said above that many of us have had to look to as a means of surviving with this thing. and with that of course, you would be entitled to MEDICARE health insurance, which i dare say would be a damned sight better than what you have right now. it varies from state to state, no doubt -- here in CA you draw state disability for one year before looking to the feds. but you should get that federal app in ASAP, regardless.

don't mind me, i'm really bossy but i mean well...

and i do realize you may have all of this in the works, karen. i just wanted to make sure you're covering all the bases. the surgeon may not be able to provide anything further for you. he is a cutter and he is done, basically. but there's lots more for you to try. lots more. miles to go before you sleep, kid!--

i'm sure you're aware there are SSDI and workers comp forums on the neurotalk site for you to explore if you've a mind to. and as di says, you can still work even if you are awarded SSDI, as long as you don't make over a certain amount per annum or something like that - and your medicare won't be jeopardized, either, by doing so.

it is my belief that a lot of TOS'ers have a fierce work ethic... so anything you can do to keep that fed is gonna be a good thing. but right now maybe your job is to take care of you! learn about what your rights are, where to get alternative care, bodywork, etc. for your TOS, apply for SSDI if you haven't yet done so (the process can take a long time), etc.

check out the recent thread re MS and TOS. you might find some local MS programs that you can sign up for that will give you some great relief for your TOS. (use the search bar in the upper righthand portion of your screen to find the thread.) and the cost is either nominal or there is no charge, due to the fact that the national MS foundation is so incredibly well-funded.

good thread - thanks karen!

Last edited by Sea Pines 50; 07-21-2007 at 04:57 PM. Reason: because i can
Sea Pines 50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote