View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 05:55 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I began having double vision about six months ago. I saw an Ophthalmologist who diagnosed me with 6th Cranial Nerve Palsy. I had an MRI which was negative other than showing some enlargement in my right inferior rectus eye muscle. She was not inclined to preform a single fiber EMG. Many with Ocular Myasthenia Gravis are seronegative, meaning the typical lab work does not come up positive. I found a neurologist who did preform the SFEMG and put me on Mestinon 30mg. x3/day and to up to 60mg x3/day in 7 days. I am just into my second week at the upper dose and feel some improvement. The only lab work out of range are my IgM and my IgG. I see my neurologist next Thurs. He wanted me to have a CT of the chest to r/o thymus involvement; but I put that off just for now because of the expense. If he feels he cannot go forward in treating me then I will cough it up. I just think it is important to know that Ocular MG is difficult to diagnose, especially in older folks like myself. It is like putting together a 1000 piece puzzle. Even the tension test isn't 100%. I thought the SFEMG would be definitive; but it is just an important tool. I would just say to anyone here, don't stop seeking an answer for yourself. It could be a matter of life or death.
6thCranialNerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote