View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 11:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

i just had surgery 8 weeks ago on one side, and waiting to have it on the other side.

post surgical pain/healing is different for everyone and seems to be dependent on what kind of shape you are in going into surgery.

I was driving short distances two weeks out. I still cant drive long distances because i get back spasms- but if you don't have those driving may not bother you. i was also washing my own hair within a week and a half, though maybe not very well

My neurologist (who was NOT my surgeon, but treats many people who have had surgery)suggested to me before surgery that he sees wide variance in surgical recovery. He told me to expect 6 weeks to 3 months before i could go back to work for one surgery. Given that i am having two i expect to be out more like 6 months.

My surgeon told me I'd be back to work in 4 weeks...needless to say he was a bit optimistic!!! However, if i had a lesser case of TOS, the SURGICAL pain was well under control by the 4th week. I'd say by 6 weeks i was back to my pre surgery self, and now I am starting to make some progress past that.

If your beach trip is an easy vacation where you expect to be laying around a lot, it probably will be fine, but you are the only one who knows how you are travelling and how you can generally withstand that. Adequate pain medicine will make it all much much easier.

this is just my experience...like i mentioned, very different for everyone.

best of luck to you.

Johanna

PS, I has a complete first rib resection coming in at the armpit as well with Dr Ahn in Los Angeles.

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote