Thread: Hot Weather
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 08:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This past week we had to take a long day trip into New York City.
Here in the northeast, the summer has been very hot, but even worse, very very humid.

This trip involved car ride, bus ride, train ride, cabs, walking, waiting inside a building with room ac'd but not hallways/bathrooms, restaurant, various train stations.

The various parts of the trip were well air-conditioned, air-conditioned but not controlling humidity, poorly ac'd, ac'd but outside door opening frequently, no direct ac so much hotter and more humid than other parts of the building, and just plain outside air of about 80 F with 95% humidity.

It was a long (10 hour) hard day. But, changing conditions so many times as we traveled and did what we had to, I was amazed to notice the very quick changes in how I felt related to how well the climate control was. It wasn't simply "cooler is better". Cooler and dryer was better, massively better. Any change to warmer or more humid was immediately worse. Dry air conditioning was massively better than humid air conditioning, even if the temperatures were the same.

Normally, when we have to do something that's "hard", when I am done, I am done, period, rest of the day is wiped out. But, having walked the city streets a bit, and being ready to drop, shortly after entering a well-airconditioned room and getting to sit a few minutes, I felt so much better and ready to go again (which I didn't. not foolish.) Out into the warmer, humid hallway and to a small, airless, hot bathroom, felt awful, short of breath, worn out. Back into the cooler room, immediately better.

The train home was ac'd and very low humidity, whereas the one down had been ac'd to the same temperature, but more humid. Noticeable difference.

So, all this rambling is to say, that it may not be just the temperature that you need to watch out for. Not all air conditioning is the same, if it doesn't cut the humidity way down as well, that could be why even in ac you still tire easily.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote