View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 01:44 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaanne View Post
My cholesterol is about the same as yours and I do not take statins. Every time I try to take them my neuropathy flares up - within days. I met with my neurologist at the Mayo Clinic and told him about my issues with statins and he said that one of the side effects of statins is neuropathy! So I watch my diet, especially carbs - and after 6 months my cholesterol dropped like 40 points. For me (the cause of my sensory neuropathy is erratic blood sugar) watching what I eat lowered all 3 types of cholesterol that they measure - including the one that is suppose to be family history and it doesn't change. Go figure - diet made a huge difference for me. It turned out I was eating WAY too much fruit - which quickly turns into sugar.

My dad had a stroke and my mother congestive heart disease and so this was a big worry for me - I'm thankful I found something that works for me.

One thing I have found in my 18 years of having Sensory Neuropathy is you just keep looking for help and it does come in many forms - diet, exercise, sometimes medication, sometimes help at this sight. Good luck!
Tina
Thanks for you story, misery loves company!

Are you pre-diabetic or diabetic? I tried a strict diet once and it didn't help my bad cholesterol, but shot my triglycerides up. I soon stopped and went back on the statin. I never had the neuropathy until just 3 years ago, but it has been persistent in both hands and starting up the back side of my forearm. I'm 66 now so I have gone a long time with no neuropathy problems. I just started with gabapentin three days ago and have noticed very little change. I am also stopping the statin as of today and hope to see some results over the next few months. I have never had sugar issues and have been fairly active for my age. I may be slightly overweight by docter's standards, but I am big boned and strong which skews the standards.

I am curious what your main diet now consists of since fruits and carbs seem to be off the table for you. I'm willing to try different things.

Thanks again for you response.

Bruce
Tinglehand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote