View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 05:21 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Rhod, They took him off of Potassium? Why? Why was it prescribed to begin with? Did he have low levels? Did you know that a low level of potassium not only makes muscles weak but can cause the heart to fail?

Someone needs to check a metabolic panel immediately. In a clinic or a hospital.

He should not take magnesium supplements, which can also make MG worse.

You can't solve a problem until you know what the problem is. Find another primary doctor for a 2nd opinion. He needs help right away. This is just crazy!!!

Coffee has potassium in it, as well as caffeine (a cholinesterase inhibitor like Mestinon—to some degree).

That stupid primary doctor, if your husband has a low potassium, could have killed him. Geez, is money more important than health to that doctor?

Please, get him help now.

Annie
Hi Guys!

I don't understand why there is such a reluctancy to put people on Immune Globulin for this, an autoimmune issue. I treated a patient for 7+yrs. with ocular MG. I'm sure it was in her other muscles as she had difficulty swallowing and ambulating.

I am in the early stages of diagnosis of Ocular MG. I am on 60mg. Mestinon x3/day and need more as I wake up with diplopia and go to sleep with it. I am having a CAT scan Wed. to check my thymus. As an infusion nurse I've given over 100,000 GMs of IVIG. I know my way around that drug. It works and he side effects I've seen with my patients have been minuscule.

I will probably reject steroids as I had to take them with my chemo before Stem Cell TP for Multiple Myeloma. I can't hardly stand them! I'm willing to do plasmapheresis.

Annie is so right, you can't make an informed decision without correct information. It is difficult for nonmedical people to navigate for themselves because it is difficult for me, a 40yr+ RN & CRNI, to navigate for myself & this is my speciality.

Wishing everyone here dealing with any medical issue all the best!

Lin
6thCranialNerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote