View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 05:31 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdolphin View Post
My experience, and my opinion.

The CT scan is looking for an enlarged thymus (hyperplasia) or a thymoma (a tumor or mass in the thymus)

The CT scan is quick and painless. Results will be sent to your neurologist. If it’s determined to be abnormal, you will be sent to a cardio thoracic surgeon. Each surgeon has their preferred methods - trans sternal, trans cervical, and robotic. Each method has obvious different pain and recovery times.
A lot of information Is going to be thrown at you, most of it medical gibberish. Bring someone with you to absorb the info you’re given. Ask a lot of questions, research as much as you can. And it’s ok to feel overwhelmed and scared.

I had my trans sternal thymectomy 7 weeks after my first symptom. Luckily and blessedly, my symptoms went away about 3 weeks after my surgery and 7+ years later I’m still MG symptom and medication free.

More importantly, please try to remember that while online in MG support groups, you are reading about many MGers that are struggling and very symptomatic . You aren’t going to be reading about those that are doing okay because they are not going to be searching for help and support online. It took me quite a while to realize this. (Hope that makes sense).

Lisa
Thank-you Lisa. Excellent response and most helpful!
6thCranialNerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote