View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Neuropathies that have acute onsets--

--particularly those that come from autoimmune triggers or toxicities (and what you described might well have elements of both), do have a tendency to result in slow, partial recovery once the offending cause is removed, but because nerves tend to heal slowly, and often in different pathways than their original ones due to the need to grown around, through, and past other tissues, the healing regimen often produces all sorts of weird symptoms in itself, which can feel very much like the original symptoms of nerve damage (parastheses, intermittent numbness, nerve pain, etc.). The brain has a lot of trouble figuring out exactly how to interepret the odd signals coming from damaged/repairing nerves, although eventually it tends to settle somewhat.

But this is why many of us keeps symptom diaries, as it is often hard to tell whether one is getting better or worse except in long term retrospect.

Also, recovery may not be complete. In many cases, it's patchy. And, the new nerve configurations often leave one more prone to compressive effects than someone who had not gone through this; it's easier to compress nerves lying near or in other tissue than it might have been before. So one tends to be prone to "weirdities" for the rest of one's life. (I never had trouble with my pudendal nerve area, for example, until after my acute onset body-wide small fiber syndrome in April 2003. I experienced considerable recovery over years, but I still have lots of things that crop up from time to time suddenly, make me uncomfortable for a while, and then slowly disappear.)
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (09-03-2018), ger715 (09-03-2018), janieg (09-07-2018), Joe Duffer (11-27-2018), LizaJane (01-31-2019)