View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoClay View Post
After 20 years of Parkinsons, my husband had a DBS right before Christmas, 2017. This is his 9th month after surgery, with 6 appointments for programming. Would we do it again...…...YES! Does it have some drawbacks? Yes. One thing we noticed was a change in his speech. His volume is much softer, he tends to speak faster, the longer the sentence, and when that happens, he stutters (not always, but some). Speech was not a problem before the surgery. He has started the Lee Silverman speech therapy program. He has lost about 75% of his tremors, and his medications have also been reduced somewhat. Granted, he is so much better without the tremors and all the meds he had before the DBS. But something I believe everyone should guard against is the expectations that they will return to the physical abilities they had before they started a decline. You can be so much better, but you will not be "cured".
I much agree with JoAnn's assessment. I did note an increase in speech speed and a tendency to stumble over words since DBS. I read somewhere that this happens mostly on patients who have DBS installed on the left side of the brain. Overall I'm not perfect with DBS but its much better than it was. I would do it again in a heart beat!
zanpar321 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (09-19-2018)