View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 12:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am currently off work, i am an engineer who sits in front of my computer all day. I have been thinking of things i can do within my current company, but i have worked 24-30 hours a week for many years and the things i want to transition to are not part time jobs, unfortunately. I am not really sure where this journey is going to take me, but i do know that i will not have much of a life if i go back to my computer job, so i better figure out something else. Afew things that have come to mind are:

1. Teaching (either high school math/science, or something within my company. we have a big 6sigma initiative and the black belts do a lot of supporting projects and thinking- not much computer work) I may also be able to do more of the manual work or running machines and handling wafers (i work in semiconductor crystal growth)

2. counseling- either go back to school for a degree in psychology or social work, then concentrate on assisting people with long term disabilities like us, or ADD kids which i also happen to have experience with

3. gardening of some sort- call me crazy but the one thing i seem to be able to do is tend my garden- would have to have someone else to lift anythign heavy or do serious digging, but set up correctly i could grow herbs for restaurant supply or flowers or soemthing else. we would have to move for this as i live on a 5000 sq foot lot in a big city, but I do love to grow things...jokingly mentioned to my husband that maybe it was time to go off and buy that windmill farm in the country....!

i am still thinking, maybe i will come up with some more.

dr j said to think of jobs where you were using your brain insterad of your body...that helped me some.

cheers...
johanna

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote