View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 05:30 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide-O View Post
Welcome here. Accepting is a good step. You will see improvements, and/or better ways to cope or work "around" your condition.

As you may have read I saw big improvements. A few weeks ago I drove 1.100 km in one day (my wife did the other 350), even though 5 years ago I couldn't even drive to she nearby shop. Mind you, I do take painkilling meds, and I have to recover a few days after such a feat, so I'm far from cured or fully functional, but it's quite the difference from where I started.

The last 2 weeks I'm in pain again, but it doesn't drag me down anymore, as I know there will be good weeks as well. The condition does influence my life, but it no longer defines it.

And I still think getting sober was one of the smartest things I ever did in my entire life. Your mileage will not vary.
It sounds like your mind is in a good place. It is not easy to stay positive with all of this. Not letting chronic pain define you is not small feet.

Staying sober has been pretty wild. I miss having drinks, but staying sober is much more manageable than i could have imagined when I was first trying 2.5 years ago. It took a lot of work but it is paying off. The life I was living was just craziness. The drinking I miss, is what I was doing 10 years ago. The past 10 years ago I was just barely existing though.

Not sure how it is with you guys but for me my pain goes from being not too bad to just brutal. I notice interaction with people gets my endorphins going and that can help turn a bad day into a good one. I am on a high dose of gabapentin and am looking to get some help from the CBD area cause I am sick of being on meds that have bad side effects. I will report back to the group next month as I will be starting in a few weeks. I have low expectations but my neurologist is very much pushing me to drop the gaba for CBD. Thinks I should be able to have a trade off one for the other.

Also, I saw a chiropractor the other week. He was suggesting 3 weeks of therapy 2 X a week. Then evaluate if it is helping. What he did to me the first time was definitely painful. It was the first time I had anyone touching my feet and yikes. But I know there are millions of people that have to go through PT to get results every day. Waiting for me schedule to free up next month so that I can commit to the PT.

I am also trying to start to eat healthier this week. I lost a ton of weight since I stopped drinking but have put some back on. Sweets are doing it to me but I was told not to worry about them in my first year of sobriety. That makes sense for most people but with PN, i cant imagine being overweight is a good thing. Logically it would help to remove the need to support extra mass. So that's kind of the next thing to tackle.

Just tossing out random stuff here as I'm scatter brained from a heavy work day. I am very lucky to work from home. My wife last night asked me about having to go into the office and it's just not a good idea right now. Living in New York City i have lots of options transportation wise but 2 hours a day on subways is just an unnecessary challenge at this time.

Does anyone else experience restless leg type symptoms at night? That on top of the pain is really maddening.

Hope everyone is doing as well as the can be. Stay positive. Grateful that this thread exists.
On_A_Freeway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
onlyhuman (02-03-2019), PamelaJune (09-26-2018), Wide-O (09-26-2018)