View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 12:52 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Perhaps continuous birth control (no periods) would work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplelife15 View Post
I know both from this forum and another I'm a part of that most women with MG notice flare-ups that correlate with ovulation & menstruation.

I had thymectomy in summer 2014. Took about 18 months before I was mostly medication free. Since then I only have symptoms and have to take pyridostigmine a few days per month, always specific to my menstrual cycle. My primary care is recommending I consult with a gynecologist about hysterectomy with oophorectomy as a means to reduce frequency/intensity of the flare-ups.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with cycle related symptom reduction/relief after oophorectomy?

Please consider whether going on continuous birth control would work as an alternative for you. Having a hysterectomy is a *big* deal for a woman's body. I have been on Generess F/E continuously (no periods) since 2012 for another medical condition. Its a low dose estrogen birth control. I feel like it has really served me having MG as far as helping keep things stable. I was diagnosed with O/MG in September 2015 and Generalized in June 2016. Heat is my biggest problem - my symptoms are still mild as long as I don't get overheated. I really believe being on continuous birth control will help younger women with MG and it isn't permanent like a hysterectomy.
aielwen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote