View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 09:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I take lisinopril, and was on verapamil as well for several years. Then, as the mg symptoms got worse, and I saw that verapamil now carried an outright mg warning, I talked to my doctor and we did a trial of stopping the verapamil. Since my blood pressure and heart rate did okay without the verapamil, I no longer use it. When I did stop it, I just felt overall better, kind of like the elephant was no longer sitting on my chest every time I tried to move. (I had ended up on both medicines as a result of complications from injuries from a massive car accident, so not your typical high blood pressure story, however.)

I also have glaucoma, and other eye problems, and was on Cosopt (dorzolamide hydrochloride-timolol maleate ophthalmic solution)-for many years, while eye muscle control got worse and worse. Had already gone through every other glaucoma medicine in existence, so ended up stuck with that one. But as things got worse, again with consulting doctor and through other eye procedures that made it possible, we tried stopping the Cosopt. Eye muscle control got SO much better (went to my second ophthalmologist and didn't tell him that until after he had checked things out, which were much improved, so there was now empirical data proving it.) Glaucoma still needed some kind of drop, so I was put on the dorzolamide component alone. Within two days I was so cross-eyed and wonk-eyed. Stopped that, went on the timolol component, and was okay (or at least not so dramatically messed up.)

Timolol is a beta-blocker and should be the component messing with mg. Dorzolamide is not a beta-blocker, and should have been okay.
But that's not how it went with me (I'm never "normal". so much fun. not.)

So, lesson in my little stories is that you really just have to try things out (in cooperation with your doctor), and see what works okay for you, and what doesn't. I never start or change two things at once, because then it's harder to sort out what is causing what, it's one at a time, slowly.
And if your doctor doesn't know, understand, or isn't sensitive to the potential problems you could have with different medicines, get a different doctor.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (11-11-2018)