View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 08:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Neuropathy or Radiculopathy or Both?

First of all to "Consider This" and "Rose" regarding their suggestions of using vitamin B12 to rebuild the myelin sheath ... hadn't heard of this before, and wasn't really sure what the myelin sheath was either. So thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I do have to be careful with supplements. For example, have been taking Glucosamine Chondroitin for years and recently found they are counterproductive for people with advanced prostate cancer ... And while on the subject ... Some of you suggested I post some of my medical history. So here's more than you probably ever wanted to know:

In 1993, I was first diagnosed with PCa and had a series of 33 EBRT (External Beam Radiation Treatments). All went fairly well until Jan of 2001 when my cancer returned, and I was told it was in the advanced stage. At that time there wasn't a whole lot of treatment options available, so I went on ADT (Androgen Deprivation Treatment). This is nothing more than a female hormone that attacks and kills the male testosterone. (I'll leave it at that) This treatment continues to this date with some modifications.

Prior to Jan of 1997, I had some minor aches and pains in the back and legs but didn't give it a lot of thought. But on 01/10/97, and after a TURP (Transurethral Prostatectomy) where an epidural injection (anesthetic) was used, if you can believe this, I started having severe back and right leg pain. Nothing was made of the incident but it did lead to a laminectomy at the L4 L5 area due to pinched nerves. The leg got better but there was no improvement in the back.

As time passed the pain returned and became more severe, and again started radiating down the legs, but more so on the left side.

The latest MRI, (05/22/06) indicated there was severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing and severe central canal stenosis in the L4-L5. Also, there is mention of degenerative anterolisthesis, disk space narrowing, disk desiccation, annular bulge and marked ligamentous and facet hypertrophy. Most of these conditions were mentioned in the other lumbar areas, but to a lesser degree.

Over the years the docs have wanted to do surgery ... then they haven't wanted to do surgery. We've had PTs, saw Chiropractors, had several series of Epidurals, all kinds of drugs and you name it, and nothing has worked. (This story sounds familiar, doesn't it?)

Anyway, and as mentioned before, the first mention of PN came from an EMG/NCV on 02/20/06 which also showed acute neuropathic changes in an S1 nerve root distribution on the left as well as chronic neuropathic changes in an L4 nerve distrbution on the left all consistent with an acute S1 radiculopathy and chronic L4 radiculopathy on the left side. Whew!!

And what blows my mind, is the 2nd EMG/NCV (06/06/07) shows SMDN but the doc added .... "NO evidence of lumbosacral radiculopathy on either side." Now how can that be?

At the present time, and since the last set of epidurals failed, the only option offered by the Pain Clinic is the "Spinal Cord Stimulation Implant." Don't know a whole lot about it but I've been told it may interfere with future MRIs and Scans my oncologist might need to run. Guess I'll need to talk with her and then find a Neurologist like some of you have suggested.

At this time, I'm totally confused and have so many questions ... Like, is this spinal cord stimulation a procedure used to treat PN or just for the spine problems, and will it work? How does one differentuate between the pain caused by PN and the pain caused by spinal problems? How can two EMGs, only 18 months apart, be so different? ... And what is causing this PN and what can be done about the pain? And, I know it isn't, but in the back of my mind there's a nagging doubt that it may be connected to cancer.

But enough of my ramblings for now!

Sorry I wasn't able (at this point, anyway) to comment on everyone's advise and suggestions, but Thank you all for your input.

gerry
gerrym is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote