Thread: Traveling?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Traveling?

In the next 10 months I am going to have to travel to another state 700 miles away, to look for a new house, and then actually move to this new house once it's bought and our current house is sold, as hubby's job is relocating us.

Long before MG or anything, when I was young and healthy, when I flew I would get SO plane sick. Miserable the entire flight, wedged in my seat with the belt tight to hold me steady, head wedged into a corner on a pillow, eyes shut, hands holding my head solidly, slowly counting my slow deep breaths attempting to fight the dizziness and nausea and keep me from looking at my watch every two minutes in misery ("I won't look again until 1000 breaths..."). Descent and landing was always an experience in record-setting barf-bag usage. Then I'd just sit and be the last one off the plane waiting for my legs and all to steady, and still the people greeting me would look at me in horror and strongly suggest I sit down for a while, I have been told I am actually green after some rougher flights.

So, now I'm old and unhealthy and have MG or something like it (docs still won't label me without a positive blood test for something!), and am always short of breath no matter what I am doing. And facing a couple unavoidable trips (I've just given up on thoughts of traveling for fun. It's not fun.) We have been talking about taking the train instead of flying, since my last time on a plane was so miserable I honestly would not have minded if the plane crashed as long as I got out of the air.

Train ride will be long, but less chance of motion sickness. For the house-hunting trip, it will add at least 2 days to the trip, using vacation days we will need later on.

Considering driving for the final move, instead of train, but we have to be here for the packing up, and then beat the movers to the new house for unloading. I don't drive anymore, and hubby cannot do 700 miles in one day anymore, so this creates a problem with the moving schedule.

So, now thinking I should just jump on the plane to get down there, and tough out the extreme motion sickness. But I have not been on a plane in quite a few years, and not since being so badly 'broken' in the big accident, and not since the MG and other issues became so prominent.

Am I nuts to consider flying, when it used to take such a toll on me when I was young and healthy? What are the risks of MG and air travel? I know we can arrange help/transport at the airport and all, I'm just worried about the actual flight part, because once you're up in the air, you have no options.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (11-15-2018)