Thread: MS mischief
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 06:46 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

My poor uncle went in for heart surgery, since he was unmarried my mother (his big sis) and I went down for moral support. I had an exaspération of my MS so I was using my wheelchair, sitting in the pre-op room with him for them to get his weight and draw blood and all that fun stuff. Well the nurse didn’t see us enter the room so she came in, greeted all of us and got my uncle’s vitals, drew his blood and then said she’d need to get his weight.

She saw me in the wheelchair and my mom sitting on the only other chair in the room and looked at my uncle who only had one leg sticking out from his robe. She looked really confused for a moment, and then very politely asked my uncle if he could stand on the scale on one foot. My uncle was very good natured as he said “Sure I can, but wouldn’t it make more sense to use two?” As he untucked his other leg from under him where he was keeping it warm.

The poor nurse turned several shades of white to red, white from trying to catch him when he went to stand up right on through to red when she realized her mistake. But it really did lighten the mood of what ended up being an even bigger operation than intially thought, he was only supposed to have a bypass, maybe a double and it turned into a triple .
Kitty (11-28-2018)