View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 06:14 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
My PM doctor is recommending a sympathetic nerve block (or blocks?) for my CRPS. I have browsed posts on this site and seen everything from it cured my life to it made it worse so I'm asking for more updated information since it's been some time since others posted. If you've had one 1) what can I expect (Can I really go back to work that afternoon?? How long does it take? Did you get sedated? Does it hurt? How was your recovery?) 2) did it help or make things worse? and 3) would you do it again. Thanks in advance!!
This past September 13th I had a discectomy at L5-S1; it was successful and I was feeling great. A week later I was in the ER with sepsis, C. Difficile, and, what was finally diagnosed on September 30th, CRPS. It is affecting my left foot. The neurosurgeon who did the discectomy is treating me; he believes it was his surgery that triggered the CRPS. He has me on Lyrica and he has arranged with the Pain Center at the hospital for me to get a "series" of nerve blocks. I found out a "series" is three. The first was on November 1. To answer your question, I'm doubting you can go back to work in the afternoon. The hospital required me to have a ride home. The procedure was scheduled for a half hour, but you know darn well that with check-in etc, you'll be there longer. I was not sedated; I was prepped with antiseptic and then the doctor administered Lidocaine to numb the area and then "the shot". While I knew something was going on back there, it really didn't hurt. I was told that it would take "a few days to a few weeks" before I felt any improvement. And indeed, after two weeks I felt considerably better. I have the second one scheduled for December 7th, or sooner if there's a cancellation. I will also admit that I am taking CBD oil; 15 mg in the morning and 25 mg at night. The doc that did the spine shot suggested it. Right now I have very little pain. My foot still swells but nowhere near like it did before. My foot still turns a bit red but not almost blue like it did before. Bottom line: I'm doing okay.
Mike in Holden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
annabanana123 (11-19-2018), BioBased (12-12-2018), shelbie4u (11-18-2018)