View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P8ntedpny View Post
Hi. I see this post is not newer, but has anyone gotten the IVIG for their neuropathy? I am already receiving this (since 2002) for any immune system disorder called Common Variable Immuno Deficiency. How have your responses been? I was just diagnosed today with Axonal Poly Neuropathy. Is this also related to ALS? I have a 1st cousin who has ALS...now I am freaking out!
Thanks, Kathy
I had one round of IVIG and it didn't help, but maybe I needed to stick with it because neuropathy in legs and feet started about 10 days after getting a flu shot and pneumonia vaccination both on the same day.

That was in 2015. Two or three different Neuros gave me a diagnosis of an idiopathic sensory-motor axonal polyneuropathy. Unfortunately this has caused muscle atrophy in my legs and feet and has progressed quite rapidly. I am now needing to wear leg braces to walk which is a real bummer.

I also was worried about ALS; however, many neurologists have reassured me that ALS is very different from an axonal polyneuropathy. They suspect Charcot Marie Toothe disease to be more likely (i.e. a hereditary neuropathy). I do take high dose b12 which is recommended for ALS sufferers. I do the b12 because at least I'm doing something to maybe slow the progression. I also believe that the incidence of hereditary ALS is very low, so better not to worry about this. Anxiety makes neuropathy pain 10x worse!
rec60661 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (11-20-2018)