View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 11:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davOD View Post
I will expect that 62 number to rise?....I am 55 now, and due to many changes in the 80s to SS, my real retirement age would be 67....So just to jump through the hoops It wouldnt suprise me one bit that it wont go higher. IMHO
there are many factors involved. the retirement age went up for everybody born after 1939. if that were a big factor it would have started to come into play four years ago and doesnt seem to have. as you get older it is harder for you to be able to re enter the work force, because your skills are outdated, because you have other limiting factors. because employers dont want to hire older workers, especially those who will raise their health insurance rates. keep in mind that you can still retire early at 62, so it is a diminishing return for them to waste their resources on cdr's for those people that age and up.

i only recently became aware that if you are on SSI not SSDI that you have to apply for early retirement at age 62. If people on SSI have an early retirement amount that is less than maximum ssi, then they still get some ssi to make up the difference if they are still disabled. this may be why some people are getting cdr's at 61-62 to see if they are still disabled for ssi. I dont really know. im just guessing about that part.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote