View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Carrico. Can you message me the literature on this topic?
I've suffered multiple concussions, recovery just passed the 4 year mark. My signature is out of date so apologies for that.
Since my injury I've gone back to school to study the mind and the brain.

I don't know what it takes to identify or rule out a CSF leak, or what exact symptoms these could cause. It's an interesting subject. I really have very little idea about the mechanisms of the CSF environment in the brain - a neurologist would be the person to write to. I could also consult an expert tomorrow when I have a chance. I wonder what a blind epidural is or does - I didn't take the chance to research before writing this response.

Considering the question though, sensitivity to jostling and head bumps is pretty general and could have a number of different causes that vary person to person. I think changes to stability in the neck is another plausible explanation. The head is heavy and the neck is largely soft tissue that can be injured along with a head injury. Reduced neck stability could make it more susceptible to future strains and sprains - and someone who has had tbi may tense up their neck even for minor bumps, verses someone who has never had tbi will be more relaxed. This may be a learned response to trauma. I know for myself, my reflexes when something - anything - comes near my head are still erratic, even 4 years later. Neck strain and tensing up can cause symptoms that overlap with tbi, such as dizziness and headache. Dizziness and headache make cognitive tasks more difficult. It could also be the reverse is true - not that people with concussion are more susceptible to neck strain, but that after concussion, the brain's performance will be more sensitive to changes in the body, such as slight injury to the neck.

As you mentioned, I also wouldn't rule out psychology and memory. Concussions and the subsequent symptoms are traumatic. I'm inclined to think that there is a memory component to concussion such that future jostling might activate memories that reactivate symptoms. This may be similar to the way that people who experience traumatic events can "relive trauma" with specific triggers.
But I would also expect more explanations regarding minor bumps to turn up as more research is done on the topic of concussion.

-2nd TBI in August, 2014. Fell skateboarding and hit head on pavement.

-3rd TBI in November, 2014. Hit in the head at work with a dish rack with full strength by a large employee. CT scan normal. Diagnosed mTBI, PCS, PTSD, migraine with aura, and chronic depression. Symptoms have included: quite severe visual disorders, hearing loss in left ear, lethargy, brain fog, dizziness, disordered sleep, hallucinations and "exploding head syndrome", neck and shoulder pain, migraines, headaches, loss of emotions, all forms of cognitive deficiency, loss of reading/verbal ability, sound/light sensitivity, anxiety, panic attacks. Most notably are a general loss of identity and the disillusionment with the world accompanying trauma. But on the other hand, a new and heightened awareness of the nature of self, others, and of suffering itself.

-As of December, 2015, am still experiencing visual disturbances, memory and speech problems, balance, sensitivity and overstimulation issues, along with the trickier to pinpoint cognitive changes, but feel that I am no longer clawing my way through a waking hell, so feel much better about being alive. Hallucinations and panic attacks are gone (thank God!), getting much better at reading and writing, and remembering/planning my daily tasks. Hopeful for further recovery, but thankful to be at least at 50%.
Beelzebore92 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote