Thread: MS mischief
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 05:06 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

So today (well really yesterday I suppose ) I had an oddly good laugh at the doctors office. Short doctor over the office is a gp and trained sports medicine doctor. We got off on the wrong foot when we first met, as he told me the “usual MS” and sounded like he was quoting from a daytime soap opera script for “usually”. So needless to say as first impressions went, his was absolutely terrible. He did treat my DH a few times and redeemed himself slightly there as he showed he was actually knowledgeable about quite a few things, MS however was not one of them .

But with the shin splits I knew any other gp in the group I saw would refer me to him so why waste time. So I made an appointment with him and waited trying not to roll my eyes when he walked in. I had gotten an X-ray the day before seeing him and had already reviewed the films, the bone was fine and there was no fluid showing to indicate a cyst or infection to explain the knot on my shin. Not to mention 21 years experience with a constant occurrence of the very same shin splints which isn’t the tearing of muscle from bone resulting in stress fractures and chipping, but muscle herniated by muscles.

And he was shockingly good at remembering he didn’t have to talk to me like I didn’t have a clue about anything medical. But more than that he confessed to reading up more on MS . And told me he would still love to say “usually with MS...” but after reading up on it some more he came to realize there really was not a “usually” at all. , but despite there not really being a usually for all, in my case yes, usuallly... with the muscle spasms I was correct in my assumption that the shin splints were the result of my increased activity building up the muscles. And while yes surgery was an option to correct the problem but with MS it comes with its own special set of complications *cough* usually *cough*.

Poor guy couldn’t let that word go . So long and short of it is, I get an Afo for my right leg know to cause kind of a pseudo atrophy of it to allow the muscles to weaken enough to slide back into place and it becomes a wear as needed sort of deal, ever couple of weeks or so, throwing it on for a couple of weeks to maintain my activity level without strengthening the leg muscles.

Usually
ger715 (12-21-2018)