View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

i'm glad this has come to market, it's been approved via clinical trial testing but imho neuros aren't going to write a lot rx's until more patients use it and prove it is really safe and effective and which patients would benefit. i imagine it can get tricky figuring out the dose and timing when you are taking both an inhaled and an oral c/l, which i think will make neuros double cautious for whom they write rx's for and limiting how many inhalers a patient can get. i assume the company wants to start slow to be safe. or maybe not. the mfg wanted to get this to market asap since there is a competing product, sublingual apomorphine, almost approved. apomorphine has been used since the 1970's and was approved in the U.S. as an injectable rescue drug in 2004.

what worries me more is that it appears there is no domestic manufacturer of carbidopa or levodopa and certainly none making C/L tablets. there has been almost a 3 month unavailability of mylan's 50/200ER tablets and shortages of this product from 2 other generic mfgs, i had to switch to SUN's generic and it's not as effective as the MYLAN at least for me. The fact that MYLAN'S regular 25/100 C/L tablet is available implies some other ingredient besides carbidopa and levodopa used to make the ER might only have 1 manufacturer. this seems to be a very fragile supply chain that will be even more succeptible to being interrupted by climate change such as the hurricane that struck peurto rico and damaged some drug plants there.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (01-01-2019), moondaughter (12-31-2018)