View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default hello

I'm new here, but have been dealing with MG for almost a year. Of course, I know it's a year only in retrospect because, yes, it began with my eyes. Blurring, a strange itchy burn and then double vision. I went to a local ophthalmologist who quickly diagnosed me with: sinus infection due to allergy. I struggled with that nonsense for about a month and then saw my long-time optometrist. I had a long-booked trip all over Asia coming up and I was grateful that the optometrist was able to help with glasses and prisms (I had 4 different lens Rx in a 6 week span) and travel went ok. As soon as I returned home, my fine optometrist said that he wasn't sure what it was, but felt it was neurological and sent me to an amazing ophthalmologist. I was with him less than 10 minutes before he asked, "Have you had trouble swallowing?" I had. He said he wouldn't know until blood work results came back, but was confident that I have myasthenia gravis. And there the saga began. In this area, neurologists are really pressed by the onslaught of Baby Boomers and up with Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, ALS . . . The regional university's neurology department had been closed to new patients for quite some time and my fine doc had to work hard to get me into that program. In the meantime, I was seeing a seriously limited neurologist. I recognized him as sub-par the first time I met him because I've worked around doctors and hospitals, once owned a pharmacy, have doctors in my family. The guy didn't run any test, just looked at the blood work results and prescribed Mestinon. I was on that for 4 months before I was finally admitted to the university's neurology department. What a shock to find out how badly I was actually doing! Minimal stress tests, like repeatedly standing from a sitting position, up and down, up and down, left me unable to stand up at all. Light pressure on my forehead made it difficult for me to lift or move my head. I had no idea I'd grown so weakened until then. The docs looked at each other with a kind of knowing expression when I told them that the neurologist I'd been seeing had done no base-line tests and only had me on Mestinon. They all agreed that my MG was advancing quickly,knowing as I did the onset as about one year. I hope this isn't too boring or long, but if so, sorry. I just want anyone dealing with a loser neurologist to find a good one. A teaching hospital is great, if you can get in. And after about a month of remaining on the Mestinon, with prednisone and cellcept added in, I feel slight improvements. I quit drooling. UGH. Yes, drooling from the corners of my mouth. The weakness in my arms is better. I have fast email responses from the doctors and they would take me in quickly if I experience any kind of setback. For now, I'm staying on the medications as they are, have an appointment for further assessment and strength tests in another month (if all goes okay, they'll see me every 3 months, whereas the not great neurologist would have left me to roll downhill with a six month re-check). I hope my droning on has helped someone else.
Arlene74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote