View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 08:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Mel

Yes my engineer “dual booted” my laptop as Brian said. This means he has loaded XP onto my laptop which came with Vista already loaded. I can select which one I want when I start up the laptop.

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing and you can download it free or by payment from http://www.realvnc.com/what.html . It would be advisable to have some expert help in doing this but the result – for those who feel like Billye and me – is tremendous.

What it does is it allows you by the simple process of clicking on an icon on either your pc or your laptop, then type in a short number and take over the other machine as if it were your laptop. You do not have to go to your pc again until you shut it down. In my case it also allows my engineer friend to take over either my pc or my laptop – with of course my permission by typing in the number – and he can then carry out any repairs, get rid of viruses etc. by “remote control”. This means he does not have to come out to visit me, consequently saving on travelling costs. He has very many clients on this VNC scheme now. I would add that the security involved is of the highest order so I have no worries there.

I hope I have in my not very technical way explained what VNC is and how useful it is to the likes of me with a laptop in one room of my house which I can either use normally or as is most often the case, take over my pc in another room and use my laptop as my pc.

Billye – your Hibiscus is beautiful. It is just what is needed in a summer like we are having here and yes you will find the bean bag tray a blessing for evening out the pressure of your laptop. Hope you have no trouble finding one to fit. Take care.

Tony
Adastra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote