View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Young MSCs for PD!

jeffreyn wrote: "Hopefully it won't be too long before we see an MSCs-for-PD clinical trial that uses umbilical cord MSCs".

Not too long at all it seems! There are now TWO such trials.

The first one is in Jordan:
Use of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Parkinson Disease (PD) - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

The second one is in China:
Umbilical Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Therapy in Parkinson's Disease - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Aside:
I was thinking about "plasma fractions" (such as GRF6021 from Grifols/Alkahest), and it reminded me of this thread from last year about (umbilical-cord-derived) mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs).

As I wrote earlier in the thread: "My understanding of MSCs is that they are found throughout the body, they modulate the immune system, decrease inflammation, and stimulate regeneration. They do not [necessarily] transform into other types of cell. Their influence [potentially] occurs via the production of cytokines and growth factors."

Simplistically, it seems to me that with plasma fractions you assemble a collection of molecules (proteins) and then inject them, whereas with MSCs it's the MSCs that create the molecules (after they themselves have been injected)!
jeffreyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anagirl (01-18-2019)