View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Voice Change (Dysarthria)

Hi All - New to the forum although I've had MG for just over 2 years. I'm a 37 y/o male that was diagnosed back in November 2016 after my wife noticed my left eye was droopy. After meeting with my neurologist and having a CT Scan, it was determined I had an enlarged thymus (unclear at the time whether it was a thymoma). In April 2017, I had a thymectomy, which went very smoothly and my symptoms seemed to subside.

Unfortunately, about a week ago, I had my first flare up and it has had a dramatic effect on my voice. I have started to slur my speech after talking for a bit and when it's not slurred, my voice tone has a nasal quality to it. I have been on pyridostigmine (180-240mg/day) and my neurologist added prednisone as of last year (20mg/day that today was upped to 30mg/day).

My question is has anyone had this happen with their voice and how did the situation (if it did) resolve itself? It's been a real frustration as it has become exhausting to speak ("r", "t", "s" and "j" sounds are a real challenge). Does prednisone typically work for these situations or will I need to try something else?

Thanks for the support!
mg2016 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote