View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now I get it.

When I first got my Verizon DSL, the disc it came with would not work. I called up the Verizon Tech person and a very nice lady asked me "can I take over your PC"?? After my jaw got up from the floor, I said "you can take over my PC?" and she called it "remote something or other". I don't remember.

I had to get to a screen, type in a number (her password I guess or somthing to that effect), and in one minute, she had control over my computer, and I watched my cursor moving on the screen. She typed in everything and then I was prompted to release her from taking over my computer.

I never was so impressed by technology in all my life.

So thank you for clearing that up!!!

Ain't technology fun!!!!

And my 83 year old Aunt in Florida won't go near the computer room in her development. They all want to teach her (she's not your average 83 year old, she belongs to the purple hat society and (just like the red hat society), once a month, everybody puts on a purple hat and they go to this big dinner theatre and they have the time of their lives. So she's a real hoot, my aunt, but for some reason, technology is not her thing.

She has grandchildren with webcams and I often say "Aunt Sallie, do you know that you can see your kids and grandchildren every single day and talk to them FOR FREE on the computer. She goes "really???, well they want me to go upstairs to the computer room and the teacher there wants to teach me".. I said "who is the teacher?" and she said "Oh, she's a retired schoolteacher who runs the program in that room and she's 93". I said "Sallie, if there's a 93 year old lady doing computers, you most certainly can". Her response was "But I'm afraid I'll break the computer".

I tried to explain that you can't break computers, but then I remembered that this is the same person, who 15 years ago called me up all excited because she got her first VCR at the age of 68 and the only thing she wanted to tape was The View which came on, in Florida, at 3 a.m.

Here's the conversation (exact) that happened 15 years ago:

Melody ..."Aunt Sallie, how nice, you got a VCR, now you can tape your stuff", (she had the vcr for a week by then).

Aunt Sallie: ..."Oh yes, I've been taping it all week, I get up at 2:55 a.m. and press the record button". I said "you do what????" She said "I get up at 2:55 a.m. and press the record button, so the next day I can watch the View".

Melody (after laughing my head off): "Sallie, the purpose of a VCR is that you can program it to record at 3 a.m. so you can go to bed at 9 p.m , the VCR will turn itself on, tape the View, and then you can get up in the morning and watch it whenver you wish"

Aunt Sallie: "you've got to be kidding, this thing will turn itself on and I can tape it at 3 a.m. "???? I said "absolutely". She then said "how do I do that?" so I wrote everything down, (I knew the make and model of her vcr).

She called me when she got the instructions and I walked her through it.

So she finally learns how to put it on timer, and she tapes the View.

Now here's the best part. She asks me "Melody, do I have to rewind the tape to watch The View'. I said "Of course you have to rewind the tape, how on earth will you watch a show if you don't rewind the tape?" Her response was "what do I do after I watch the View, do I then rewind the tape". I said "that's what you do, then you can tape over it".

Her response: "why would I want to tape over it"???

That did it for me. I gave up!!! And I expect her, at 83 to go up to a computer room and learn webcams???? I don't think so...

lol

Melody

P.S. My Aunt Sallie is a dear, but she has severe hearing loss and I told the family to get her one of those teletype gadgets from the phone company because she can't hear anyone on the phone. Now when you get this gadget, you are supposed to READ THE WORDS, and then you can talk into the phone so the other person can hear you. You are not supposed to try and hear and read at the same time.
So they get the teletype thing. I call her up on the phone (you have to dial a special number and you get connected, I guess, at her end, the bells go off or lights go on and she knows a phone call is coming in.

Here's the conversation:

Aunt Sallie: "hello hello, who's there???

Me: Hi Aunt Sallie (now I'm thinking she's reading the words, but nooo she's trying to hear me and she goes "who's this??"
So I sigh and go "It's me, Melody, Sallie, read the text" and she goes: 'He died, how did he die?? I go "Who died?" and she goes: "you said he died". I go "I never said anyone died". She again goes "oh my god, he died??".

Believe me, I never called this woman again. I told her son what happened and he fell on the floor laughing because he goes through this everytime he calls her. I told him to tell her "Melody sends her love".

Sorry to hijack this thread, but since this thread is about techno stuff, I felt it was okay to tell this story. My aunt is a hoot but I certainly wish she would go up and learn the computer.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 07-22-2007 at 12:16 PM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote