Thread: DBS, anxiety,
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had DBS in June 2018 with the Gpi target. That target was chosen because there is less aggravation of non-motor symptoms which trouble me. I still have problems with cd ld/wearing off- linked anxiety. However, being better able to sleep and to eat,to exercise harder and be more independent has reduced its negative impact on my quality of life.

My surgeon has said from a few weeks after my surgery that I should not restrict my activities due to having DBS other than headstands in yoga.
I play tennis and practice yoga. I have had problems with the generator because I move a lot and scar tissue has not formed enough to hold it in place. My surgeon says this is rare. I have been taping around it with kinesiology tape and this allows me to move how I want to and it seems to be staying in place more even when I am not taped up.

Per surgeon, the device could be tacked down more securely but it would likely restrict my range of motion. So, my answer is no it is not obtrusive if you mean restricting motion. Can you see it in a tight tank top- yes? But it is not noticeable in any kind of shirt or top that is not tight across the chest or low cut.

The lead in my neck feels tight sometimes. I would ask your surgeon ahead of time how to avoid restrictive adhesions in that area. I chose the Abbott/St. Jude’s system. It supposably has the stretchiest leads but they are prone to coiling which seems to defeat the purpose.

So far, I have done only body weight exercises on my upper body. My husband wants me to start a functional fitness based weight training program. I feel ready! Kim

Last edited by Canna; 01-28-2019 at 02:38 AM.
Canna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote